Your eyes are the most important part of your body and they need proper care at all times. Skipping regular eye exams or ignoring slight problems in vision can put your eyes at risk.
Instead of waiting for a problem to strike, you are recommended to go for regular eye tests. This will help you get over the problem before it develops to something serious.
Here are the symptoms, which if noticed must be immediately counter checked by an ophthalmologist:
- Decreased vision in one or both eyes
- Changes in vision in one or both eyes; conditions like distortion or wavy lines, double vision, haloes around lights, sudden spots, watery vision and lightning streaks.
- Problems like curtain like vision loss, blurriness in side or central vision, shadows and black spots
- Redness, discharge or swelling in eyes, pain, crossed eyes and eyes turning in, out, down or up
- Changes in color vision
Frequency of Getting the Eyes Examined
You must find a specialist eye doctor near me to get your eyes examined. You should be regular with your eye tests as this will help you rule out any major problems.
Starting at the age of six months, a child must get his/her eyes examined on a regular basis to ensure that the vision is fine.
Even healthy adults that do not feel any problem with their eyes must get their eyes checked after every 10 years. After the age of 40, the frequency of eye examination must be every five years and this must be every three years, once you cross the age of 55.
Who are at risk of having eye problems?
When you find a reputed eye doctor near me, she/he will tell you that people with certain ailments are more prone to eye problems and these include:
- People having thyroid, diabetes and rheumatologic diseases like lupus
- Those with the tendency of high intraocular pressure
- Those that have a family history of macular degeneration, glaucoma, retinal detachment and cataract
- Previous eye injury patients
- Those taking certain medicines like Ethambutol, Prednisone and Plaquanil
Finding the right eye doctor near me is important to ensure that your eye exam goes well. It also ensures that the diagnosis of the problem would be correct and that you would get the right treatment.
Look for an eye doctor near me that has the experience and the expertise to handle all types of vision related problems.